The Ultimate AV Event Checklist
There’s More to it Than You Think.
Planning and executing your first (or even your 50th) event can be a stressful and exciting time. No matter how many times you’ve done it, there always seems to be some new challenge that you have to troubleshoot. While it does a good job of keeping us on our toes, it’s maybe not so good for our blood pressure.
Audio and visual always seem to be one of the areas where event planners and organizers face many new challenges and obstacles. Maybe it’s because of ever-changing technology or perhaps it’s because every venue is different and every setup unique. Whatever the reason for so many AV challenges, it’s important that you have a plan for tackling anything that comes your way. After all, AV elements are some of the key components of a successful event and you want to ensure that it goes off without a hitch.
In order to stay on top of all of your AV must-dos and checkpoints, it’s important that you have a list that you can simply check off as you go. But amidsts all of the other tasks and to-dos on your event list, creating another list for AV items is not a high priority. With that in mind, we’ve compiled this ultimate AV event checklist so that you don’t have to. Now you can plan your event and simply verify that all of the boxes are checked to ensure that your event reaches its full potential.
Verify AV Equipment Requirements
- Microphones – wired or wireless, lavaliere, table or floor stands
- In-house lighting – adjustable in every room, supplemental lighting needed?
- In-house sound system or supplemental needed?
- Portable sound system required?
- Mixer board(s) – how many
- Electrical supply ok or additional needed?
- Video cameras
- Desktop – laptop computers
- Podium – how many – with or without microphone
- Two-way radios – reception capabilities in all areas
- Projectors – built-in or special order
- Technicians – camera, lights, sound, projection
- Screens – what size – how many – what type
Verify Onsite Capabilities
- Pre-con meeting for program review / orientation
- Orientation for volunteer monitors
- Early a.m. check of AV set-up for each function
- Oversee rehearsal with AV techs and key players
- Early a.m. check of speaker-ready room
Verify Speaker/Presentation Needs
- Re-confirm with all speakers and presenters
- Notify AV if major changes anticipated
- Update AV matrix as needed
- Distribute final AV matrix two weeks in advance
- Schedule on-site rehearsal / timeline review
- Finalize timeline and distribute two weeks in adv
- Assign staff and / or volunteers to attend/monitor each function
This checklist will ensure that you cover every area of your AV needs so that no stone goes unturned in your preparations. We’ve covered preparation many times on this blog, but it cannot be stressed enough how key it is to a successful event. Knowing exactly the challenges you’ll face and how you’ll overcome them is the best way to pad your downside and work through hurdles quickly and efficiently. Your staff, volunteers, patrons, and clients will all be grateful for a smooth event and will appreciate having standards in place to help them navigate the tricky and unpredictable waters of event planning with ease.
We strive to help you plan your events as much as possible, but more often than not, the AV side is too tricky and technical and you can easily find yourself over your head. If you want a helping hand, call ATX Event Systems at (866) 991-4818 or contact us here. We’re more than happy to help and rest assured, have this checklist covered and a whole lot more!